Creative Thinking Prompt: Design A Frozen City or Ice Sculpture
For the past 33 years, Harbin, the capital of China’s Heilongjiang province, hosts the annual Harbin International Ice Snow Sculpture Festival, now the largest ice and snow festival in the world. With subzero temperatures, exhibits of ice sculptures created mostly from ice blocks cut from the Songhua River are displayed across multiple locations. One 2018 exhibit stood almost as tall as Paris’ L’Arc de Triomphe. Multi-colored lights give color to ice while deionized water is used to give ice perfect clarity.
Creative Thinking Prompt: Design a Frozen City or Sculpture
- Think about ways on how to make ice cubes stick together.
- Design your city layout or your sculpture.
- Gather Materials:
- Ice cubes (different sizes and shapes)
- Food coloring – to create different colored ice cubes
- Jello – use gelatin to create different colored cubes instead of food coloring and/or use jello as building material
- Cookie sheet to build your city or sculpture upon
- Multi-colored lights to light up your work
- Any other materials that will make your creation unique
*Note: When ice begins to melt, you may need to refreeze. Once solid again, begin working on your creation.
Think Deeper: Experiment with crushed fruit ice cubes to make an edible ice sculpture.
For a how-to on making colored ice cubes, visit: https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Colored-Ice