“Lexie the Word Wrangler”
Lexie wrangles words instead of cattle. She raises baby letters until they grow into words, lassos words together, herds words into sentences and hitches sentences together to tell a story.
When a rustler turns up, adding letters to words and making other words disappear, ruckus upsets life on the ranch.
The desert turns into a giant dessert.
A rainbow becomes a bow in the sky. Will Lexie capture the rustler?
This book promotes originality, humor, and clever.
TITLE: Lexie the Word Wrangler
AUTHOR: Rebecca Van Slyke
ILLUSTRATOR: Jessie Hartland
PUBLISHER: Nancy Paulsen Books, 2017
AGE GROUP: 6-8
CREATIVE COMPONENTS: originality, humor, clever
1) You can be a word wrangler, too!
* Rearrange each of these words to form new words. GRATE, SCOPE, APES, ART, ATOM
* Write a list of compound words. Break the words into two words. Write each word on a slip a paper and fold. Put each word into a bag. Select two slips of paper from the bag. Form a new compound word.
* Drop letters from words to form new words.
2) Write a list of 50 words on slips of paper. Fold and put into a bag. Pick 15 words from the bag. Create a short story, using these words.
To learn more about author Rebecca Van Slyke, visit:
To learn more about illustrator Jessie Hartland, visit: