Creative Thinking Prompt: On The Spot Inventions
1) Collect 5-10 items from your recycling bin. Make sure the items are clean.
2) Take a walk around your home, collecting 5 nature items. Don’t pluck any living plants or animals.
3) Gather items that attach such as glue, paper clips, rubber bands, tape, etc.
4) Spread out all your items so you can observe them. Write down your observations that intrigue you or cause you to wonder.
5) Combine nature and recycled items together to form a new invention. Like a puzzle, imagine these items fitting together. Sketch how these items might go together.
6) Take your chosen items and begin putting them together. You may notice that they don’t fit like you thought they would. That’s okay. Try something else. Imagine something else.
7) Inventions serve a purpose. What is the purpose of your invention? What can it do?
For more ideas on inventing, visit Scholastic: